Monday, January 29, 2007

Fire

 

So it happened. Grandma and Grandpa's house caught fire. It is very sad. It was bound to happen. They have so much stuff in that house and it is so old. Reasons for the fire are speculation and I prefer not to make my thoughts public at this time.

My grandparents have so much stuff in their house that this was a tragedy for them. They save everything and so anything they lost is major. It is hard for me to empathize with them. I would be sad if I lost some of my stuff to a fire or for any other reason. But I don't save things like they do. They went through the depression and lived through times where they could barely find money to eat with. They kept everything because they may need to use it someday for any number of reasons. Maybe sell it or trade it for something they truly need.

The fire was pretty much contained in one room in the basement. They lost some furniture and some pictures of their parents and grandparents that they will never be able to get back. Grandma kept asking about her clothes in her closet. The closet is right behind the wall where the fire was. Everything in there is probably burnt.

I went to Wichita Saturday because I knew that they had been through a lot and it would help to have somebody there to keep them calm and talk to. They got moved into a hotel room for the time being and the cleaning company is going to come in and start taking stuff out to be cleaned.

We are all very fortunate that they were not injured in the fire. Grandpa was able to get Grandma out of the house and call 911. I thank God for that blessing. I also am very thankful that I was able to go be with them during this time.

No comments: