Monday, March 17, 2008

Music

I had a thought today about music. Random huh?

I heard a song that I used to listen to many many years ago. It clicked my brain and I started thinking about the different phases of my life and the different types of music I listened to. I realized that they are VERY distinct and when I hear a song I can tell you what I was going through in my life when I listened to that song.

I remember way back when I was very little listening to tapes of children's music and rhymes. I remember getting my first CDs from BMG music club. One of the first cds I had was Green Day (Dookie). I remember the first time ever hearing the band. I went with James to visit k-state. One of his friends was listening to it in his dorm room. I really looked up to these guys and thought they were so cool. So I bought the cd. I still own it to this day (or did before I got rid of all my physical cds for the more compact mp3 version).

In high school I remember listening to the 80's music. Lynard Skynard, Alice Cooper and other classic rock bands. This was the time that I was hanging out with James the most. Going out to the lake with him and his friends.

I started listening to rap and other 'bass'ie music when I got my first sub in my car. Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and other music similar to that. Also got into some other music like Metallica and ACDC. These got me through the later part of my high-school years.

When I got to college, that was quite the shift. I heard a lot of different music for the first time. I lived in the dorms and this was the first time that I copied mp3s from someone else. The guy down at the end of the hall (Mickey) was a Junior I think and knew how the whole dorm thing should work. He had big speakers and setup all hooked to his computer.

I got into some hip-hop music and other dance music when I started going out a lot in 2003 - 2005. That is when I started keeping up with newer music. I still do for the most part. However, now I have really gotten into more Christian music.

I got a bunch of songs from a friend. I had wanted to start listening to 'better' music that would help me feel better. This did it. I love this music. I would be proud to listen to this music with my new daughter. I don't want to listen to Baby Got Back.

This was a long post to really make the point that, for me at least, music really has an important history with me. I wonder, though, if music influenced my actions or if my actions influenced the music I listen to. I tend to believe that I make decisions in my life and then find music that supports that.

What do you think?

No comments: