Tuesday, April 01, 2008

1 Timothy 6:6-8

Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth. After all, we brought nothing into the world, and we can't take anything with us when we leave it. So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content.
I found this posting that I had started a while back and forgot about. It really is an amazing bible verse. I get wrapped up in my day to day activities and worry about the things that I have. It all boils down to things. The house you live in and the clothes you wear. The yard you try to make look nice (another post coming soon). What does any of this have to do with my salvation? Very VERY little.

I try to stop and think occasionally that all the stuff I acquire will be here when I leave this place. I can't take it with me. I need to be content with what I have and stop worrying about things that I want. I am so blessed to have more than just enough food and clothing. God has blessed me with a wonderful wife, family, house, car, job and so much more.

Does that mean that we shouldn't take pride in the things that we have accomplished? I don't believe so. I am proud that I can provide for my wife. I also realize that I couldn't have any of this without a big boost from God. He has given me everything. That is why I try to remember that if the things go away I will still be ok because I have faith and He has 'got my back'. I try to think about things that I can do to help those less fortunate than me. I am always open to ideas. It always seems to boil down to money and things. I can give those freely because of the position that I am in. It is much harder for me right now to give up my time. But I know that I am thinking inside a box and there are so many ways to help that I haven't thought of. Please offer comments if you think of anything.

No comments: