Monday, July 14, 2008

Hurtful Words

Something happened yesterday that really got me thinking about my actions and the way that I treat other people, especially behind their back.

I really try to be a good person and not talk bad about people behind their back. I have tried to make it a point to not say anything behind somebody's back that I wouldn't say to their face. And seriously try to understand what will and won't hurt people's feelings if I do say it to their face. However, it seems lately that I have been letting that go. I haven't been thinking about how other people would interpret the things that I say. I may not think it is hurtful but it really is.

This came up because somebody said something about somebody close to me and I saw the pain in their eyes when they told me about it. This wouldn't have been as much of a big deal except it was from somebody close to this person and was interpreted as being 100% serious (not jokingly). This person doesn't normally care what other people think and treats other people way better than I do.

I don't want to be the person that makes people feel the way I saw yesterday. It pains me and hurts deep inside to even think about the things I have said to people. If I could just think about the things I say or the way I say them before I say them then it would be so much better.

I have always tried to be an honest person. I learned quickly that lies lead to so much pain that it isn't worth it. Not even a little lie. However, this honesty has made me brash in some cases. Brutally honest isn't always the best approach. Over the last couple years I think I have gotten better but still think back to some times when I have hurt the people close to me without knowing it.

I'm done now. I just wanted to get this out. I hope that anybody reading this might think about the things that they say. Just because you aren't saying something to somebody's face doesn't mean that they won't hear about it. It doesn't even make it ok if they never do hear about it.

No comments: