Monday, November 23, 2009

Airport Fun

I am headed to NYC today. I got up early and got dropped off by my wife at the airport for a 10am flight to Detroit then off to JFK. Everything was going great. Got on the airplane on time (early even) and all set. The plane pulls away from the terminal and out toward the runway. After a bit we get word from the pilot there is a flashing warning light for one of the doors on the plane (the luggage door i think). He mentions that we are headed back to the terminal to have a mechanic come check it out. It takes 20 minutes for the mechanics to get there and another 15 or 20 to head back out to the runway. Backing out of the terminal again we get word that there is another warning light. So back to the terminal we go! After a while we are told then that the engine won't start and they are waiting for information from the mechanic. Imagine how fun the people on the plane are to listen to at this point!

So we wait for the mechanics assessment and finally it is told to us that they need to replace a part and it needs to be flown in. So 3 hour minimum before that even shows up. We are then de-planed and off to the ticket counter we go. The line took at least an hour but I finally got rebooked on a flight out of MCI to JFK via Minneapolis (instead of Detroit). The problem: I am not getting in to the aiport until 10:45. That means to the hotel at 11:15 or 11:30. Yikes!

So the real point to this post isn't about the problems I have had with flying. The point is that it is amazing to watch how different people handle situations like this. Even the ones that seem calm and together get all antsy after a while.

The flight has a group of 17 kids and chapperones. They are students (highschool I assume) and the adults had to deal with getting all of the kids to Detroit. That would be very stressful if I was in that position.

I made a very concerted effort to keep a positive attitude and be happy even though it was a crappy situation. I thanked the people that were helping and trying to keep their composure. I was polite and happy. It is amazing how much easier things seem to go when you aren't all pissy about things that aren't in your control! I am waiting at MCI and my food just arrived. Yummy!

No comments: