Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Helping People

I am watching Secret Millionaire. It is a show on tv that takes millionaires and puts them undercover in rough neighborhoods. The idea is that they live on a welfare amount for a week. They see what it is like to live like that and live without they currently have. They also are 'on a mission' to find people to give support to. They will be giving something like $100,000 to the people they meet.

My question is: Is it better to give a large amount of money to one cause or one person or is it better to give a smaller amount to a lot of people?

This question has a lot of different answers. I believe that it is important to give. If you are able to eat every day and have a roof over your head then you are better off than a lot of people and it is your purpose to watch out for other people and help when you can. Where should you help though?

I try to give money to the church. They have teams of people that are there to figure out who needs and deserves help. They are more informed than I am. I trust them to do God's work with my money.

How about time? Where should you spend your time to help? I find this one to be very hard. I don't have a lot of extra time so this seems to be way more precious than money. There are lots of opportunites. There are food kitchens or homeless shelters. Schools need volunteers or there are always missions trips.

I know that these answers won't be given to me. They shouldn't be. They are for me to figure out. I just wanted to throw them out there and try to vocalize the way I feel. I hope it helps somebody think about this and possibly figure out what works for them.

No comments: